[squid-users] About Squid Delay Pools, help needed

From: Eduardo Bejar <wonka@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 12:26:47 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Please help me on something regarding delay pools, I´ve been googleing for a
while but get the same results.

Here's my situation:

Currently I´m using HTB for traffic shaping per IP, so I create a rule to
setup the total bandwidth that an IP can use. So let´s say that an IP
address must use 128Kbps total. I create the HTB rule for that and it works
fine.

But now I´d like to use delay pools and transparent proxy, so when a user
downloads a large file, this file downloading slows down to let´s say
32Kbps, leaving 96Kbps free for browsing. But if the user downloads a small
file, it should be downloaded at full 128 Kbps.

So first question: Is delay pools a way to accomplish this?

Now, I´m testing the following delay pools config:

acl client1 src 66.67.68.69/255.255.255.255
delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 2
delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 4000/500000
delay_access 1 allow client1
delay_access deny all

But this rules do not do what I´m trying to do. According to what I read on
the Squid FAQ, that should limit all bandwidth for that IP to 32Kbps, for
every file downloaded with a size bigger than 500 KB.

So second question is: what am I missing?

And finally, third question: When using delay pools, while I download a
large file, will I be able to browse at full speed (128Kbps), or will
browsing be limited also to 32Kbps as the downloading is in place? So far it
seems that while a download is in place, everything else that the IP does
gets queued on the same pool and gets the same 32 Kbps.

Thank you for your help,

Regards

Edo