[squid-users] Snmp - real number of cache clients?

From: John Horne <john.horne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:13:59 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to set up MRTG to graph the actual number of current clients
accessing a web cache. I can see from the cachemgr and the SNMP MIB,
that the SNMP entry 'cacheClients' exists and has the comment of 'Number
of clients accessing cache'. However, my understanding is that this is
the number of unique clients accessing the cache since it started.
'unique' being the number of clients with a previously unseen IP
address.

What we want is literally the number of clients accessing the cache
within a given time period (the MRTG 'Interval') - regardless of whether
they have used the cache before or not. My thoughts are that we could do
this using the file descriptor entry 'cacheCurrentUnusedFDescrCnt' - the
number of unused file descriptors. Since I know the maximum available
number of FD's (8192 in our case), I can get mrtg to subtract the number
of unused FD's, hence resulting in the number of FD's being used.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839