Re: [squid-users] MRTG/snmp - system name?

From: John Horne <john.horne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:12:28 +0100

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 12:31 +0100, John Horne wrote:

> My question is, could the squid.conf 'visible_hostname' be made
> available to SNMP, probably through a new entry in the squid MIB? This
> would then provide the 'system name' as configured by the sysadmin for
> squid. Secondly, of course, how MRTG gets the 'system name' I am not
> sure - I would have though it would look for the standard SNMP v2
> 'sysName' entry.

Checking a bit further, it seems that MRTG has a 'RouterName' option
which takes an OID to determine the 'system name' if required. As such
if the 'visible_hostname' was put into the squid MIB (with its own OID),
then I could use that OID with the MRTG RouterName to get the system
name.

I think I'll put this into bugzilla as an enhancement.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@plymouth.ac.uk       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839