RE: [squid-users] Multiple site Squid cache servers with one DansGuardian

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:28:44 -0800

What kind of miss? A TCP_MISS is different from a TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH_MISS. Read the FAQ (especially http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-6.html#ss6.7) for details.

> I have tried:
>
> cache_peer <ip of DG server> parent 8080 7 no-query

This is the correct setup if you want caching at both the parent (DG) and child (client) level.

> cache_peer <ip of DG server> parent 8080 7 no-query proxy-only

This will prevent caching at the child level. Parent proxy should still cache.

> cache_peer <ip of DG server> parent 8080 7 allow-miss no-query proxy-only

Same story here. The allow-miss directive will not make a difference if children are forced to use parent proxy.

You might use the cacheability engine (http://www.web-caching.com/cacheability.html) to see if the page you are using as a test is actually cacheable. Just to be sure...

> All works normally if I set my browser to use the main proxy (DG) it seems.
>
> What should my settings be in order to have the following happen:
>
> Site Squids to cache for local site

Set up a Squid server at the local site.

> Main Squid to cache for site Squids (children?) as well as main site

Set up "main" squid server, allow http_access from child proxies. Set child proxies up to use main server as parent.

> DG to filter for everyone, but not be queried when the local site server has
> the page in its cache.

Use "never_direct allow all" on child proxies to force them to use parent. If the child proxy has the page cached, it will not query parent proxies.

> Hopefully I'm clear with what I'm trying to do. I'd like to avoid running
> DG on all site servers, unless that is the only or best way to go.
>
> I'm using:
> Redhat FC3
> Squid 2.5STABLE9 with forwarded-for patch
> DansGuardian 2.8.0.4
>
> Thanks,
> Geoff

Chris