Re: [squid-users] pop-up thru squid

From: Albert Siersema <appie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:04:44 +0200

> Is there a way to send a pop-up message to all subscriber using my
> squid-proxy? If there is how can I do it?

You could try and run a DNS server (on the squid server) listening on
127.0.0.1 pretending to be authoritive for every single request. Then
answer with the IP of a webserver of your own. The webserver uses
a 'real' DNS server, displays the webpage with your message and includes a
link to the page initially requested.
However, proxying happens for ALL objects on a page/website so this could
turn into a somewhat tricky scenario.
When you authenticate users first you could try to flip a flag in LDAP,
or whatever you authenticate with, to indicate the user has been shown
the Message Of The Day already.

Albert