[squid-users] squid as firewall/redirector and windowsupdate

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:25:10 -0300

Hi All

I'm using squid as a firewall/redirector and need to give users to
Windowsupdate (via web browser). I've scanned the archives and it seems
there's a list of sites you need to allow for this to work, but I've never
seen the list actually posted. Basically, I want squid to redirect users to
a page unless they are going to a site we approve, such as windowsupdate. In
an attempt to get windowsupdate to work, I have the following in my
squid.conf file:

acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*microsoft\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*akamai\.net
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*akamai\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*windows\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*windowsupdate\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*windowsupdate\.net
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*msft\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*msft\.net
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*nsatc\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*nsatc\.net
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*edgesuite\.net
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*akadns\.com
acl NoRedirect url_regex -i .*akadns\.net
redirector_access deny NoRedirect

This does not work as the windowsupdate process fails part-way through. Is
there a complete list or better way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matt Ashfield
Network Analyst