[squid-users] proxy.pac

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:20:10 -0400

I'd reply to the question sent to the list, but I deleted it already.

There's a bug in IE that truncates the last character of the
autoconfiguration file.
The problem is the packet which requests that file, sometimes get's
fragmented, not always.
This essentially causes IE to request two files: proxy.pa and c
A very simple work-around is to copy proxy.pac to proxy.pa
You should see somewhat more consistency here.

As a side-note, autodiscovery is horribly inconsistent, by design. It's
the reason they discontinued the protocol standard (RFC).

My suggestion is to stop trying autodiscovery and force the URL for the
configuration script.
All the major browsers support it, and it seems to work consistently.

Tim Rainier