Re: [squid-users] Path MTU discovery problem, question

From: Joshua Goodall <joshua@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:57:28 +1000

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:40:27PM -0700, john allspaw wrote:
> on the squids themselves, since it's production and I'm not 100% that it won't interrupt service.
> will it ??? is there anything else that folks might suggest to confirm that it is the pmtu problem ?

TCP MSS clamping should reveal whether there's a PMTU-d issue.
It looks like you're using linux - see the iptables manual.

> our squids sit behind a LB, with URL hash as it's balancing algorithm.
> thanks in advance,

You should find out whether your LB can do MSS clamping too.
It might be necessary if it spoofs the 3-way-handshake without honoring
target server TCP parameters.

--
Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua@roughtrade.net                                       - FW109