Re: [squid-users] proxy.pac

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:24:24 -0400

Yes, only when using WPAD.

Although some of the proxy.pa requests did make it to the webserver, the
majority of those requests required me to
actually sniff the machines manually to find them.

 I wonder if they resolved the issue in a relatively recent service pack
or something similiar.
I know for a fact, about a year ago, it was happening on a lot of machines
here.

Like I said, we stopped using WPAD just like they stopped working on the
RFC.

Tim Rainier
Information Services, Kalsec, INC
trainier@kalsec.com

Kevin <kkadow@gmail.com>
08/01/2005 07:25 PM
Please respond to
Kevin <kkadow@gmail.com>

"trainier@kalsec.com" <trainier@kalsec.com>
cc
squid-users@squid-cache.org
Subject
Re: [squid-users] proxy.pac

On 8/1/05, trainier@kalsec.com <trainier@kalsec.com> wrote:
> I'd reply to the question sent to the list, but I deleted it already.
>
> There's a bug in IE that truncates the last character of the
> autoconfiguration file.

If I'm reading this right, you're saying that this problem only happens
when using Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) in combination with
the automatic discovery feature (WPAD) of MSIE?

> The problem is the packet which requests that file, sometimes get's
> fragmented, not always.
> This essentially causes IE to request two files: proxy.pa and c
> A very simple work-around is to copy proxy.pac to proxy.pa
> You should see somewhat more consistency here.

Interesting. We support many thousands of Windows workstations,
all using proxy.pac but none using WPAD.

I do not see any requests for "proxy.pa" in the logs on the web server
hosting the PAC file. I do see a ton of errors for some really humorous
typos -- it's amazing how many different ways there are to creatively
spell "proxy" :)

Kevin Kadow

(P.S. I do see a high number of requests for "proxy.pac?Type=WMT",
is anybody else seeing these?)