[squid-users] X-Cache and X-Cache-Lookup headers

From: pujo mulyono <pudjo26@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 19:50:56 -0700 (PDT)

hello,

i need help or suggestion.

my ISP is using multiple sibling/parent proxy for my
internet connection. As I trap the header for each
reply http i found similar headers like this :

and when i count byte used for those headers it could
reach up to 185 byte per single reply of http request.

Considering that my organisation use alot of pc's (98
stations) with single internet connection shared up to
1 mbps, i found that those headers would consume our
downstream bandwidth quite hugh.

i assumed that each station would request 4 pararel
connections per second (as IE browser do) to the
gateway. i then multiply this to 49 (50% of all
stations) and then multiply to 185 byte (max byte
header x-cache consumed) equals to 36250 Bytes per
second. Then i multiply it with 8 (converting from
bytes to bit) equals to 290080 bits per second alias
290kbps.

For short :
4(req)*49(units)*185(byte)*8 = 290k / second

i then write email to the ISP, complaining those
headers consume our bandwidth so much. i ask them to
eliminate those headers on every reply as i found fact
that those headers mean nothing for us but junk
headers. It consume our bandwidth up to 290kbps loss
for nothing.

I ask ISP to deny x-cache headers for all of our IP
Addresses so those junk headers won't appears again in
every single http replies from their servers.

And its been 8 days since i ask them to remove those
headers but until now i still see it, i guess they
can't do it (for some reasons) or just don't know how
to do that.

i told them to add these below configuration to their
squid.conf :

headers X-Cache deny <our IP ACL>
headers X-Cache-Lookup deny <our IP ACL)

to eliminate those headers. but i'm not sure well
coz i don't know how they manage their squid (linux)
servers configuration. What i know is that conf works
well on my SquidNT.

so, how to eliminate those headers precisely under
squid.conf?

we need replies soon, thank you

regards,
Pudjo