[squid-users] Squid with single parent | caching problem

From: Ralf Frochte <rfrochte@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:06:53 +0200

Hi,

we want to configure a transparent proxy with

a) trend micro iwss (commercial virusprotection, no-caching proxy)
b) squid (caching-proxy, SquidGuard)

Problem:

Squid configured as parent for trend does not cache any requests.
Trend configured as parent for squid does not cache any requests as well.

As a single proxy squid works great. We tried a solution with iptables redirecting port 80 (squid) to port 8080 (trend).
It works, but there must be a more beautiful solution.

Does someone know how to teach squid using a parent (i.e. trend), making no direct connections and caching data ??

We made him using trend as single parent without any direct requests. But we can't teach him to cache data as well.

Single proxy -> very well hit rate
with trend as parent -> 100% TCP_MISS

Thanks,

Ralf Frochte