Re: [squid-users] cache_peer question

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:46:46 +0200

On 05.08 11:16, Askar wrote:
> I want to configure a cache server which have three parents. Do a child
> have more then on parent ? :), what i'm doing atm is something like
> this.....

> cache_peer parent-cache1 parent 3128 3130 no-query proxy-only
> cache_peer parent-cache2 parent 3128 3130 no-query proxy-only
> cache_peer parent-cache3 parent 3128 3130 no-query proxy-only

why no-query? You should use no-query only for proxies that don't support
ICP/HTCP.

> However when i check on parent proxy i could see only parent-cache1 got
> the request not the others. So what exactly i want to choose parent in
> round robin fashion.
>
> secondly if the child cache request an object from parents it serve it
> without caching it local is "no-query proxy-only" is right for that purpose?

the proxy-only is OK, but no-query is bad idea.
I have 3 parents too:

cache_peer proxy1.nextra.sk parent 3128 3130 proxy-only
cache_peer proxy2.nextra.sk parent 3128 3130 proxy-only
cache_peer proxy3.nextra.sk parent 3128 3130 proxy-only

and logs show this:

tux squid # grep /proxy1.nextra.sk access.log | wc -l
197122
tux squid # grep /proxy2.nextra.sk access.log | wc -l
188456
tux squid # grep /proxy3.nextra.sk access.log | wc -l
179851

looking at cache_peer docs:

# use 'round-robin' to define a set of parents which
# should be used in a round-robin fashion in the
# absence of any ICP queries.

I think that either enabling HTCP/ICP or adding round-robin would help you.

Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool.