Re: [squid-users] Snmp - real number of cache clients?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 18:40:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, John Horne wrote:
>
>> I am trying to set up MRTG to graph the actual number of current clients
>> accessing a web cache. I can see from the cachemgr and the SNMP MIB,
>> that the SNMP entry 'cacheClients' exists and has the comment of 'Number
>> of clients accessing cache'. However, my understanding is that this is
>> the number of unique clients accessing the cache since it started.
>> 'unique' being the number of clients with a previously unseen IP
>> address.
>
> Right.

Or actually not.

This list is automatically garbage collected depending on your load and
activity of the clients (more active clients is remembered longer). No
client is remembered for more than approximately 24 hours.

As a result you can view the number as an approximation of the number of
users (by IP address) who have accessed the proxy in the last 24 hours.