Re: [squid-users] strange Accept-Encoding header problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:35:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, xiang dong wrote:

> I have a squid used as reverse proxy of a apache web server.
> The apache web server run module mod_deflate.

Make sure you have proper Vary header support enabled in your apache if
you want the cache to handle this proper. This is required by HTTP
specifications as intermediate caches such as Squid does nor process the
accept-encoding header, instead relies on instructions given by the origin
server via the Vary header.

> I found that the web page which squid send to web server does not
> have Accept-Encoding headers, but the client is Mozilla/4.0
> (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322),
> whcih can probably send sent Accept-Encoding headers.
>
> Could anyone tell me, why this happened?

Probably the client is not willing to use Accept-Encoding via proxies.