[squid-users] Interception Proxy / Policy Based Routing

From: Sturgis, Grant <Grant.Sturgis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:10:09 -0600

Greetings List,

I am using policy based routing to get HTTP traffic to my proxy.
Basically, as network traffic traverses my router, the policy inspects
the packets to see if they are tcp/80 and, if so, sends it on to my
proxy.

I then have iptables running on the proxy server (RH EL ES 3) to change
the port from tcp/80 to tcp/3128

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

This all works great.

Now I am trying to add some of the other ports that http(s) may use,
namely tcp/443.

So I add that to my router policy (and verify that the traffic is
getting to my proxy with tcpdump) and add this to my iptables:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 443 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

now iptables -t nat -L says this:

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
REDIRECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:http
redir ports 3128
REDIRECT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp
dpt:https redir ports 3128

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

The problem is, https traffic doesn't go through the proxy. If I
manually configure my proxy settings on my browser, it does work fine.

Any suggestions for what could be going wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Grant
---------

sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by