[squid-users] Re: should squid crash when ulimit reached?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:30:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, joaoBR wrote:

> anyway the squid restart under this circunstancies depending on cache
> size is what is the handicap.
>
> what then is very strange for my understandings that when the OS
> hardcoded limit is not altered then squid crashs soon it reach the
> limit but when I set it lets say 100MB higher then squid do not crash
> anymore and stays using memory up at the limit (even when it would
> use more if available)

It's only a matter of time. See the FAQ on how Squid uses memory.

Squid does not care what the limit is, only how it is configured in
squid.conf which indirectly translates to how much memory Squid uses (see
FAQ). Your OS limit should be considerably higher than this to allow for
temporary spikes in memory usage.