Re: [squid-users] WCCPv2 on Linux (Gentoo) - Multicast support

From: Valton Hashani <valton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:30:27 +0200

The Squid is working fine with WCCPv2 but as far as I can see in squid conf
can only one wccp2_router directive defined. I need squid to communicate
with multiple routers. In case I use wccp2_router 225.25.25.25 to
communicate with group of routers, routers can see the squid but cannot form
service group.
This is a message I get from the Cisco Router: "WCCP-EVNT:S00: Here_I_Am
packet from 80.x.x.x w/bad rcv_id 00000000"

I have attached an email that I found in squid archive dating Tue, 02 Sep
2003
so I just want to know if squid can communicate with multiple routers using
WCCPv2 (multicast or unicast)?

Thank you in advance,
Valton

This is the configuration of a test squid box:
Kernel version: 2.6.11-gentoo-r8
Proc: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
Mem: 800MB
lsmod: ip_wccp
Os: Linux Gentoo

squid version: 2.5.STABLE10

configure
sbin --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --sysconfdir=/etc/squid --
libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid --enable-auth=basic,digest,ntlm --enable-removal-p
olicies=lru,heap --enable-digest-auth-helpers=password --enable-storeio=ufs,
diskd,coss,aufs,null --enable-basic-auth-helpers= --enable-external-acl-help
ers= --enable-ntlm-auth-helpers=SMB,fakeauth,no_check,winbind --enable-linux
-netfilter --disable-ident-lookups --enable-useragent-log --enable-snmp --en
able-cache-digests --enable-delay-pools --enable-referer-log --enable-async-
io --enable-truncate --enable-arp-acl --with-pthreads --enable-htcp --enable
-carp --enable-poll --enable-ssl --enable-kill-parent-hack --enable-wccpv2

Re: [squid-users] Is WCCPv2 on RH capable of multiple routers? Ismulticast
supported?
Joe Cooper
Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:51:41 -0700

Squid does not support any WCCP v2 features, including multiple routers.
There is a mostly unsupported patch that works as a compatibility layer
between the v1 support in Squid and the slightly different interface to v2.
No one has wanted v2 support badly enough to sponsor it or write it, so it
hasn't happened yet.

Multicast isn't an option with WCCP as far as I know...the router and the
cache will exchange tokens to identify themselves. Multicast breaks that
exchange.