[squid-users] running squid behind proxy

From: Christophe Vandeplas <christophe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:43:14 +0200

I am submitted to the following challenge:
I need to configure a transparent proxy that fetches its sites from
another (not transparent) proxy.

It might seem a very strange and stupid way to configure a network, but
it's impossible to solve the matter without it.

** Why the hell do I need that?
A graph might clarify things:
/\/\/\/\/\/\ _____ ---------- ________ --------
| internet | --/proxy\--- | netw 1 | --/router 2\---| wifi |
\/\/\/\/\/\/ \ ---------- --------
                     \________|__________
                     /def gateway/router 1\

                      -------------------
                     | many trusted netw|
                      -------------------
The thing is that it's not possible to connect _Wifi_ on the default
gateway/router due to licensing issues.
Router 2 is the default gateway for Wifi, and is a dynamic firewall that
enables the Wifi users to connect to the network/internet once authenticated.
All clients from _Network 1_ need to set manually their proxy settings
(fortunately these are all desktops).
The current configuration of the network makes it impossible to do it
otherwise.

This means that all the Wifi users whould need to configure their proxy
settings, this being really very annoying for users I whould like to add
a transparent proxy on _router 2_ .

But the proxy on _Router 2_ needs to fetch its stuff from the proxy.
(I know this is really a very ughly hack, but currently it's the only way
to solve the problem)

I couldn't find any information in FAQ's, mailinglists or google, so
that's why I ask it here:

Is there any way to configure squid to work as a transparent proxy by
connecting to a proxy?

Well, I hope there's a way, otherwise I'll need to wait a little longer.

Thanks

christophe

- --
Christophe 'ElCascador' Vandeplas