Re: [squid-users] how to cache https data?

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:29:15 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:48:42PM +0800, ChenAX AX wrote:
> I currently need to cache some https data from the URLs like this:
> https://...
>
> as the squid FAQ listed:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-1.html#ss1.12
>
> it doesn't supports HTTPS OBJECT caching,
> also, I search around ; but find nothing helpful,

Since proxys commonly use the CONNECT method (RFC 2817) to actually
tunnel any kind of TCP connection through it can't work. Squid has no
idea what kind of protocol you are speaking through that tunnel.

If you really need that you will have to pay big bucks for a proxy that
supports both caching and SSL scanning. Besides most users are probably
not fond to have objects cached that were transmitted through HTTPS
since it is often sensible data. Some browsers even have that kind of
caching turned off by default.

Regards
 Christoph

--