RE: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy Multiple IP Addresses

From: Jerry Thomas <thomasj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:54:52 -0400

Hi Brad,

I am a little confused it sounds like you are just try to put a squid
server in front of 3 apache servers. I guess they used to be LB'd
somehow.

When I said:
Configure the squid server to listen to the 3 ips, I meant to set up ip
aliasing on the particular ethernet interface. Then just set http_port
to 80.

This will be incredibly more efficient than running 3 squids processes.

>From my personal experience I had 8 dedicated apache servers running a
cluster. I was able to get it down to 2 servers running a custom
compiled squid and two apache backend servers.

I had to have the second apache in case of issues but they were both
lightly loaded. Hopefully you will be able to do the same.

Jerry

--
Jerry Thomas            thomasj@scoregroup.com
I.T. Director           ph. 305-662-5959 ext. 242