RE: [squid-users] Squid Dies many times in one day

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:09:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Roman Rathler wrote:

> I had the same problem on RHEL4 and on Centos 4....
>
> My solution was to just grab the latest srpm from Fedora Core 4 Updates,
> did a rpmbuild and upgraded the so STABLE10 .... 10 minutes of work and no
> problem afterwards...
>
> I really wonder why there is was update from RHEL....

Probably due to some of the security issues found after the 2.5.STABLE3
release.. There is 8 Squid security advisories issued after the
2.5.STABLE3 release.

Many distributions unfortunately have a QA policy preventing then from
upgrade packages to newer versions, forcing them to instead patch beyond
recognition.. Sometimes this makes more robust packages due to smaller
changes, sometimes less robust as the needed patches then has to be
backported by the distribution package maintainer which sometimes does not
have a very good understanding of the patch or what other changes between
the version they are patching and the version the patch was made for the
patch depends on.. The main reason to such QA policy is to maintain full
configuration and usage stability for the whole duration of the support
phase.

In any case, if there is stability issues with a RHEL update package
making stability worse than a previous RHEL package then file a bug report
with RedHat as they obviously have not done their QA checks on the update
proper.

But I am very glad updating to 2.5.STABLE10 gave you a better running
Squid ;-). It is also the version you should be running when using the
suqid-cache.org support channels as the Squid developers won't look at
stability or other problems unless the problem can be reproduced with the
current STABLE version as distributed by squid-cache.org.