Re: [squid-users] Persistent Server Connections

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:28:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Jerry Thomas wrote:

> I am trying to squeeze a little more performance out of the squid in
> http-accelerator mode and wondered about how the persistent connections
> worked?
>
> When I first set up the server. I had
> server_persistent_connections on

Good.

> But then I noticed that each apache connection would only serve a single
> request then stayed open till the apache keep-alive time-out.

Then something is seriously wrong somewhere.. this is not how it is
supposed to be.

What is supposed to happen (and does for everyone else) is that Squid
reuses the already established connection on the next request for the same
server.

> My process list was huge.

No wonder..

> I have looked at directives like pipeline_prefetch but this doe not seem
> like it will have the desired effect.

No. You should not enable this one in accelerator setups. Doing so will
only give you additional problems.