Re: [squid-users] disk partition locations ?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 18:51:34 +0200

On 09.09 09:32, john allspaw wrote:
> Has anyone here experimented with putting cache_dir partitions on
> inner/middle/outer parts of the disk, for performance reasons ?

:) This is the last thing you should care about.

First you should have separate drive for squid cache, then about filesystem
(although some ppl blame ext2, some blame reisersfs), storage type, enough
of free space (full filesystems use to have noticeable slower performance)
and enough of memory for cache.

> Is there really a noticeable difference in seek/total I/O performance ?

There are expectations that at the begin of disk there should be lower seek
performance, but better performance for sequential reads, and in the middle
of disk there should be higher seek performance wit lower performance for
sequential reads.

However ad I use two whole drives on all of my servers, I haven't checked
this.

The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95