Re: [squid-users] linux vs freebsd

From: Greg Swallow <gswallow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:15:48 -0500

Nitin Sharma wrote:

> i have two boxes .. with SQUID Version 2.5.STABLE10.
>
> the linux box has (rh 9)
> Median Service Times (seconds) 5 min 60 min:
> HTTP Requests (All): 0.06286 0.46965
>
> whereas the freebsd box has (freebsd 5.3)
> Median Service Times (seconds) 5 min 60 min:
> HTTP Requests (All): 1.17732 1.17732
>
> both of my system have 1 GB RAM..
> squid is transparent and with diskd support.
> what might be the factors for such discrepancies ?? i compiled squid
> in a freebsd box for better performance with some kernel tunings.

Maybe I'm wrong, but IIRC, FreeBSD has one of the fastest TCP/IP stacks
available. This is why we chose FreeBSD to run Squid.
Still, a one second discrepancy is pretty major. Have you checked your
duplex settings? Are the boxes the same? The generated load was the same?

--
Greg Swallow
System Administrator, CCNA, CCSA
http://www.IN.gov
10 West Market St, Suite 600
Indianapolis, IN 46204
T. 317.233.2908
F. 317.233.2011
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This E-mail and any attachments are confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you do not have permission to disclose, copy,
distribute, or open any attachments.  If you have received this E-mail
in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender
and delete this copy from your system.
Thank you.
accessIndiana, MyLocal.IN.gov, CivicNet