Re: [squid-users] How to determine the number of file descriptors for Squid?

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:48:48 +0200

> Hi,
>
> We are running Squid 2.5.STABLE3 version in http accelerator mode on a
> dedicated Red Hat EL 3.0 server.
>
> These are the settings for the size of the cache on the disk and in the
> memory:
>
> cache_dir ufs /spare/squid 7000 16 256
> cache_mem 2 GB
>
> The number of users at the pick is around 2000. We expect the number of
> the users is going to increase in the future significantly.
>
> I wonder if there is any way to estimate the number of file descriptors
> for Squid based on the number mentioned above.
>
> Also, I checked /usr/include/bits/types.h file looking for the definition
>
> of __FD_SETSIZE. I could not find it. I assume I would need to define this
>
> variable before compiling Squid. Am I right?
>
> Thanks,

  The default (1024 fd´s) should be enough for 2000 users.
  Check cachemgr -> General Runtime Information on info regarding fd-usage
  and the nuber of spare fd´s.

  If you get lot´s of :

   Warning : Your cache is running out of file descriptors !

 in cache.log. Then you may need to increase them. Check the Squid FAQ
 on how todo this.

 ps: install and use the latest STABLE release.

 M.