[squid-users] Cache_access_log for Squid 2.5STABLE6 unable to write to /dev/stdout

From: marlowe <marlowe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:43:51 -0400

All,

I am working on a solution to run squid with daemontools and allow
multilog to log cache_access_log. I am able to run squid with
daemontools. When I attempted to set cache_access_log to /dev/stdout, I
received the following error message:

FATAL: Cannot open '/dev/stdout' for writing. The parent directory must
be writeable by the user 'squid', which is the cache_effective_user set
in squid.conf

I attempted to set cache_access_log to a pipe similar to the below
http.conf and cronolog solution,

AccessLog "| /usr/local/bin/setuidgid multilog /usr/local/bin/multilog t
/var/log/squid2"

I received the same error as above, substituting | for /dev/stdout. As
a solution, I could set the cache_effective_user to root, but would
prefer not to do that as a security concern. Can anyone recommend how
to get cache_access_log to write to stdout? I have searched Google but
only come up with results detailing retrieving "lost" files from the cache.

Thanks,
Patrick