Re: [squid-users] Basic load balancing with squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:48:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Roberto Barbieri wrote:

> I need to setup a squid proxy which should balance outgoing traffic
> between two different internet connections.

This is best done by configuring the OS to route-balance the two links
combined with policy routing to keep traffic bound to their selected link.
The proxy will automatically benefit from the link balancing done by the
OS.

I.e.

1. Configure policy routing routing traffic with a source IP of
respective ISP out to that ISP no matter what. Most ADSL ISPs have
filtering not allowing traffic with the "wrong" source IP on their link.
If your ISPs does not have such filters then this step can be skipped, but
I would recommend it in any case.

2. Configure the main default route to load balance between the two
providers.

You can also play games with tcp_outgoing_address in squid.conf as an
alternative to 2.