Re: [squid-users] Performance tweaks

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:56:45 -0400

Squid's url_regex is a hideously slow way of managing blackholed
urls/sites/domains.
I'm not necessarily blaming the program itself, the fact is, regular
expressions can be quite computational.
SquidGuard, on the other hand, is VERY fast and works quite well.

Lots of folks around here swear by DansGuardian too. I personally didn't
need the added features/complications
that DansGuardian provide, so I stick with squidguard.

<Semi-off-topic>
Per a discussion with some of the admins at the North American Network
Operators Group, I'm setting up a
service to get automation into updating a centrally managed squidguard
database.

The hope is to get more users to contribute to it (making it more
effective) and to also make it more portable
so other services can use it.

Fyi, if anyone is interested in contributing, please email me offlist.
</semi-off-topic>

Tim Rainier
Information Services, Kalsec, INC
trainier@kalsec.com