Re: [squid-users] digest auth IE problem accessing protected content

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:35:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Bryan Keet wrote:

> IE prompts the user to enter the username/password to access the content,
> which is correct, but then it asks for the squid authentication details
> again, repeatedly for every page accessed. I'm guessing IE is mixing up the
> passwords etc.?

I would not be surpriced.. The Digest implementation in MSIE is far from
perfect.

> It all works fine in Firefox and Opera, but sadly I have to get it to work
> with IE!

Do you have a MS support agreement covering MSIE? If so it may be worth
trying using it..

Known issues with MSIE Digest implementation so far:

   - Doesn't implement nonce reuse, causing a lot of redundant traffic
(even more than when using NTLM).

   - Fails to handle URLs with spaces in them proper (should encode the
space as %20 in the Digest and everywhere else, but instead uses the space
as-is).