Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:03:14 -0400

What is it about browsing the web that's not fast enough?
It could simply be that authentication routines are slowing it down.

Part of the whole reason behind caching data is to prevent having to
download popular sites/images/files/etc more than once.
For example, if 20 people request the current weather information from
weather.com, then squid downloads it once from the web and uses said
downloaded data
for the 20 people that requested it. Thus, decreasing the amount of
bandwidth required and speeding things up (since it's a lot faster to
download data from a system on
your LAN than it is to grab it 20 times from the web.

Six and one half dozen of the other, really. If the machine you're
running squid on has other responsibilities (especially those that are I/O
intensive), then disabling the cache
would speed the server up. However, I don't think it would necessarily
"speed up squid".

Tim Rainier
Information Services, Kalsec, INC
trainier@kalsec.com

"Covington, Chris" <Chris.Covington@plusone.com>
10/11/2005 03:49 PM

"Squid Users" <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

> This is more of a filesystem question, then it is an operating
> system/distro question.

Let's say one is using Squid primarily for access control. What
benefits would a cache provide? Would eliminating the cache help speed
up squid, assuming there is ample bandwidth?

---
Chris Covington
IT
Plus One Health Management