Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: D & E Radel <radel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:35:58 +1300

> Thirdly, can someone PLEASE answer my question about setting "/" to
> 'noatime', as opposed to avoiding it by telling me how and why what
> I'm
> doing
> is stupid?
>
> Once again, are there pitfalls to having '/' set to 'noatime'?

If your squid box is only used for Squid then there are *probably* no
pitfalls to setting 'noatime'. If you have mission critical software
that depends on this access time info, then sure don't set it. However,
I read that setting noatime should speed up disk performance
significantly. I am not aware of any possiblities of filesystem
corruption and the likes by setting noatime if there are any, maybe
someone else can verify the safety of doing this.

D.Radel.