[squid-users] Hardware Recommendations

From: <TBUSHART@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:13:55 -0400

Can anyone help and make any recommendations from their experiences for
hardware requirements for a new install of two LVS Load balancers
forwarding to two Squid Real Servers. I’ve got the LVS servers in
place, but for the squid boxes, should I use multiple hard drives with
Raid 5 or Mirror two 15K SCSI drives, and should I be ok with a single
cpu in each? I’m thinking each squid device will be an hp dl360G4 with
a Xeon 3.4GHZ/800MHZ. I need about 60 GB of cache space. My cache dir
lines will read:
cache_dir diskd /cache1 16384 16 256
cache_dir diskd /cache2 16384 16 256
cache_dir diskd /cache3 16384 16 256
cache_dir diskd /cache4 16384 16 256

I’m also thinking 3GB RAM in each Squid Box. This system will support
about 600 connections to the internet at any given time. (~300
connections per squid server after the LVS load balances outgoing web
connections) I’ve read a few write-ups on the web but I figured I
would ask the experts!
Thanks