Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: <trainier@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:57:28 -0400

> On a side-note. Your 4x33 are set up as RAID or LVM?
> neither one is a good idea.
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.11

Indeed. I was making sure he wasn't raiding his squid cache. :-)

> if your computes has enough of memory left for metadata cache (inodes
and
>directories where squid data are left), it's OK. if not, you have huge
>performance bottleneck here (and with only 50 MB of cache_mem, buy more
>memory).

kalproxy:/var/log/squid # free -m
             total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1007 995 12 0 4 33
-/+ buffers/cache: 957 50
Swap: 1027 18 1008

Tim Rainier
Information Services, Kalsec, INC
trainier@kalsec.com

Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>
10/12/2005 02:12 PM

squid-users@squid-cache.org
cc

Subject

On 12.10 10:03, trainier@kalsec.com wrote:
> The fact is, we're small enough that it hasn't sorely affected us much
at
> all. My access log for squid grows to about 4-10 GB in a week.

wow, that's very much of data transferred in a week.

> I made it adimently clear that I would only retain 1 weeks worth of
access
> logging information.

1-2 weeks are recommended, if you can set up a few FAST disks.

you should use each drive as separate cache_dir, unless you use mirroring
(which is useless in many cases)

[someone other...]

> In my cache server, every mount is set "noatime". Since the server
is
> dedicated to the web caching, I don't need the "last time someone
accessed
> a given file".

the 'noatime' option for most filesystems does not matter.

> 4x33 GB UW-SCSI2 drives. I fills almost my entire RAM. My cache_mem is
set

> to only 50 MBs, since the object table goes quite large into the memory.

> But, why mind? The disk access is fast enough (avg. 9 ms to access
cached
> objects).

if your computes has enough of memory left for metadata cache (inodes and
directories where squid data are left), it's OK. if not, you have huge
performance bottleneck here (and with only 50 MB of cache_mem, buy more
memory).

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759