RE: [squid-users] Squid reverse proxy - URL change in the response

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:46:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 DGeorgie@wiley.com wrote:

> It looks to me Squid is not rewriting the URL of the response to look like
> that of the request.

Correct. It only rewrites the request.

> The Web/J2EE application is using lots of redirects and whatever it
> receives from Squid server ( httpd_accel_host & httpd_accel_port) it
> sends back in the response in the Location HTTP header.

Then you will run into trouble.

The accelerator support in Squid is designed with the assumtion that you
have reasonable control over the backend servers making their responses
look real.

Genereally my recommendataion is to avoid URL rewriting as much as
possible in either direction. As soon as you start with URL rewrites you
will sooner or later (usually sooner) end up in trouble.

If you have a single backend server then the simplest setup is

   httpd_accel_host your.real.sitename
   httpd_accel_uses_host_header off

then point your.real.sitename to the backend web server in /etc/hosts.

If you have multiple backend servers for different parts of the site then
it's slightly more complicated.