RE: [squid-users] Hardware Recommendations

From: Timothy Bushart <tbushart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:30:16 -0400

On 12.10 14:13, TBUSHART@nycap.rr.com wrote:
> Can anyone help and make any recommendations from their experiences for
> hardware requirements for a new install of two LVS Load balancers
> forwarding to two Squid Real Servers. I?ve got the LVS servers in
> place, but for the squid boxes,

> should I use multiple hard drives with
> Raid 5 or Mirror two 15K SCSI drives,

        no! if RAID, only RAID1 (mirror), if you can afford it, read more on:
        http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.11

Raid 1, 2 146GB 15k SCSI Mirrored Drives for OS and Logs, and two partitions
for cachedir's..
could I get away with:

cache_dir diskd /cache1 32000 16 256
cache_dir diskd /cache2 32000 16 256
(Each partition will be 64GB, only use 32GB for cache on each partition)
3GB Memory
Single 3.4Ghz Xeon CPU - Two identical Squid Servers cache_peers
600 users could be browsing the web at any given time is what I was trying
to say.
Used for basic web browsing

Recommendations call for one cache_dir per disk, but if you have two disks
mirrored RAID1, does that mean use a single cache_dir.... or will two
cache_dirs suffice?... because the larger the cache_dir the more memory
used...

Currently in production we have two squid servers - pentium III's 1.5GHZ's
raid 5 (3 76GB Drives) with 4 cache_dirs...Only about a 1-2 second delay
before a web page is brought up This is with cache_peer parents that are new
McAfee webshield web scanners, and 2 new DNS servers that receive about 20
queries/sec. This was inherited from someone that left the company. We have
to upgrade and want to make sure performance increases with new hardware and
doesn't decrease. I read somewhere some guy upgraded his squid system with
new hardware and his users started complaining that the web slowed down, I
trying not to be that guy, and I'm reading alot...www.squid-cache.org

> Can anyone help and make any recommendations from their experiences for
> hardware requirements for a new install of two LVS Load balancers
> forwarding to two Squid Real Servers. I?ve got the LVS servers in
> place, but for the squid boxes,

> should I use multiple hard drives with
> Raid 5 or Mirror two 15K SCSI drives,

no! if RAID, only RAID1 (mirror), if you can afford it, read more on:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.11

> and should I be ok with a single cpu in each? I?m thinking each squid
> device will be an hp dl360G4 with a Xeon 3.4GHZ/800MHZ.

this highly depends on their usage, on ammount and type of data transferred.

> I need about 60 GB of cache space. My cache dir
> lines will read:
> cache_dir diskd /cache1 16384 16 256
> cache_dir diskd /cache2 16384 16 256
> cache_dir diskd /cache3 16384 16 256
> cache_dir diskd /cache4 16384 16 256

eh? first you should know what disk drives you will have, THEN configure
cache_dirs on them, one on each cache_dir. For cache_dir size, read:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ.html#toc4.14

> I?m also thinking 3GB RAM in each Squid Box. This system will support
> about 600 connections to the internet at any given time. (~300
> connections per squid server after the LVS load balances outgoing web
> connections) I?ve read a few write-ups on the web but I figured I
> would ask the experts!

those servers might be able to process 600 requests per second.
the number of connections tells nothing. one browser can have 8 idle
connections to squid...

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are