[squid-users] squid tuning was Re: [squid-users] Which the best OS for Squid?

From: Covington, Chris <Chris.Covington@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:58:03 -0400

> What is it about browsing the web that's not fast
> enough?
> It could simply be that authentication routines are
> slowing it down.

It's not slow at all. There doesn't even seem to a speed decrease
without the cache at all. I was just wondering the benefits of having a
cache. The architecture is this way:

datacenter (squid server) 100Mbps Internet

Ipsec VPN

sites (clients) (768K-3.0Mbps Internet)

The nature of the web traffic going over the VPN, and the 100Mbs
connection of the Squid server, lead me to believe that cache tuning
won't do much. I'm open to the possibility that I could be wrong.

The squid server has 2GB RAM and a RAID 1 36GB array. The squid
partitions are noatime reiserfs. The overall squid server priorities
are in this order: availability, then access control, then speed. Right
now I have cache_mem set to 256MB and a 5GB cache_dir. I was debating a
larger cache_dir, but I didn't want to have any memory starvation
problems and I didn't want to run a large cache_dir without an adequate
cache_mem. Then I realized that the cache_dir size doesn't seem to have
such an effect on performance, so I'd rather have the system be reliable
and fail-proof than 2% faster. But I'm open to suggestions (other than
changing the architecture, IE putting a squid server at each site's LAN,
which I can't do for budgetary, environmental and manageability
reasons).

---
Chris Covington
IT