Re: [squid-users] Hardware Recommendations

From: john allspaw <jallspaw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

at the risk of repeating what has been posted here before, here are some considerations.
 these are based on my experience with squid and hardware, almost all on reverse-proxy/acceleration setups:

 - get fast disk. ignore information that says SATA is just as good as SCSI. nothing beats 15K RPM SCSI drives, and get ones with lowest seek times
 - don't use RAID. just don't. it's a cache, and if you lose a disk, I might argue that even if it's mirrored, the degradation during a rebuild might be too much. just let the disk go, kiss its contents good bye, and install a replacement
 - get a lot of disk, and put one cache_dir on it. don't use up the whole disk, read the FAQ on memory usage, and make sure you're not giving too much to disk. it'll be fast at first, but if it's too big, then you'll be sorry later when it's full. :)
 - put your logs on a different physical spindle as a cache_dir. or better yet, don't log all the time. :)
 - mount ext2, noatime

 those things I've found to be the fastest.

 oh also: contrary to popular belief, I don't have numbers on it, but I don't think that there is a huge diminishing return with adding over 3 spindles.
 I have 6 spindles, and they are a huge improvement over just 2 or 3 spindles.

 --john