RE: [squid-users] Squid + LVS-NAT (Red Hat Piranha) on VMware GSX

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:40:10 -0800

So you are running two squid instances on one box (supposedly to take advantage of multiple CPUs), and a redundant LVS director (on VMWare) on a separate machine? Or is everything running on one physical machine?

It's only under certain circumstances that Squid uses a lot of processing power (high latency links seem to be on such circumstance), but it nearly always uses lots of I/O. Having multiple processes competing for the same disk(s) might lower performance more than just running one Squid instance on the box. I have no idea how LVS is going to play with VMWare. Very interesting concept though.

Chris