Re: [squid-users] Re: Blocking big uploads

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:24:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Marco De Vitis wrote:

>>> chunked responses (Transfer-encoding: chunked) don't contain Content-Length.
>>
>> But is not supported at all by Squid.
>
> So you mean they won't work at all, when traffic is passing through
> Squid?

Won't work, and clients/server MUST NOT send such traffic to Squid
according to the HTTP specifications. Squid is HTTP/1.0, chunking
requires HTTP/1.1 and clients/servers MUST NOT send chunked
request/responses unless it is known the receiver (i.e. Squid) is
HTTP/1.1.

> If, like I supposed in my previous answer, this is the kind of response
> used by streaming audio, it surely works for downloads through Squid,
> because I successfully listened to a Live365 stream through Squid.

Most streaming over http servers just sends a huge object (very very large
content-length), paced at the streaming rate, or use the CONNECT method to
connect to the streaming server.

>>> So you'll only have ftp-over-http, and that doesn't allow ftp puts.
>>
>> ftp-over-http does allow FTP PUTs, but is limited by the same request size
>> limitations as HTTP requests.
>
> You mean a Content-Length limitation will block ftp-over-http uploads?

Yes.

> How are those requests encoded?

As a normal HTTP PUT request to an ftp:// URL.