Re: [squid-users] Problem when trying to authenticate to a remote http server for download

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:27:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 Arno.STREULI@ca-suisse.com wrote:

> I try to connect to a web server for a download using the following
> command:
> http://username:password@remote.site.com

While this works for Squid it is not part of any official URL standard.

What Squid does when seeing an URL like this is to translate the request
into
   http://remote.site.com
with Basic authentication using the supplied username and password.

> and I get bacj the following error: You are not authorized to view this
> page You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the
> credentials that you supplied because your Web browser is sending a
> WWW-Authenticate header field that the Web server is not configured to
> accept.

Sounds like the web server is not configured to accept Basic
authentication.

Perhaps it's only accepting NTLM or Negotiate authentication in which case
it is not accessible via proxies.

Regads
Henrik