Re: [squid-users] squid caching in two machines

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:30:45 +0200

Mark Elsen wrote:

> > Hello,
>
>>I was running a squid proxy for 500 users in single
>>machine itself.Now I have to increase the number of
>>users to 2000 .For that I came to know that,it will be
>>better to provide caching in two machines.
>

> Untrue , modern light-server-hardware + SQUID will handle
> 2000 users , with lots of spare CPU available.

I can confirm that, we had 1500 users on a 2GHz machine with no major
problems. Bottleneck was mostly the uplink and perhaps the number of
disk spindles - just 2 scsi cache disks.
But I wanted a second cache server anyway - for failover. IMHO it makes
more sense to balance the load on two less powerfull machines instead of
using a big one. It makes e.g. maintenance much easier.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer