[squid-users] how can I force a correct Content-length header for every response? (to fix broken OpenWave)

From: Eric <ej@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:10:20 -0500

I need a way to force squid to include the correct
Content-length header for every response, even if it's not included by
the originating server. Basically, this means I need to cripple
squid's performance by disabling sending any data to the client before
the entire response is fetched from the server if the server hasn't
given us a Content-length. I was playing around with hacking this a
bit and realized it's a more difficult problem than I had hoped.

The reason for this is that the OpenWave browser used on many mobile
phones (including my brand new motorola E815) is broken in a
ridiculous way. It requires a Content-Length header that is exaclty
<= the size of the content for every HTTP response or it just hangs
(see
http://demo2.openwave.com:8080/jive3/thread.jspa?messageID=20841). If
you give it a length that is too short, it simply cuts off the page at
that point. There is no facility for updating the browser version on
the phone (see
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/19/0048236&tid=100&tid=222&tid
+=193&tid=137),
so the easiest fix is to hack squid.