Re: [squid-users] Squid + WCCP + ip_gre + ip_wccp

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:19:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Senthil Murugan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question on configuring squid with wccp. I have a setup with
> squid-2.5s10 on linux 2.4.20. I have ip_gre and ip_wccp kernel modules
> installed.
>
> I followed the setup from squid archives. The steps are,
>
> 1. installing kernel module ip_wccp
> 2. installing kenel module ip_gre

You should only select one of the above.

ip_wccp is simpler as it does not require any tunnel configuration, but
also much less secure for the exact same reasons.. but on the other hand
not all versions of ip_gre supports WCCP.

In fact only one of the two can be active at the same time. I do not
remember it it's the first or last loaded however.. (loading more than one
GRE module is not officially supported)