[squid-users] squid: authentication query

From: Maria Dolores <mshk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:34:29 +0200

Hello

 I am new in this list. I am working in a software development group for
linux, we are desinging a software for parent control to internet
access. We are using squid and I have several doubts about the
possibilitys squid offer to authentication.

 I have achieved configure squid with pam_auth but in this case when the
browser is launched requests the user introduce his userid and password.
However I desire squid is able to recognise that user initiated the
session. I have read squid is able to do this with the authentication
scheme: ntlm. Regarding this the mayority of my doubts are concentrated,
the situation is :

  -The system i have to configure is a single machine
  -The users squid has to recognise are the users defined in this
machine
  - If i use ntlm authetication:
      I would have to configure samba and winbind in the same machine (I
believe this cause problems)?
      The machine will act like samba server of domain NT ¿??
      I would have to include the system users like samba users, with
the same password ( I will be duplicating the users)
      OR IS THERE ANOTHER EASIEST WAY??

   - Neither authentication mechanism allow this?

On the other hand, I need squid works transparently to the browser.
According to the information I have compiled in your list and squid
documentacion, squid allow authentication or transparency but not both
at the same time. In my situation, if i need configure squid with
authentication (because i have to configure squidguard's acls for
achieve a web content filter sensitive to user) What would be the best
option?
I have recopiled some information about autoconfigure browser. In a
linux system, could be the solution ?¿

Thank you in advance for your attention.
I'm sorry I made you too much question, considering my english is not
enough good.

Cheers
  Maria