Re: [squid-users] Getting Squid to dictate the first url

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:47:21 +0200

On Thursday 27 October 2005 13:54, John Walubengo wrote:
> I recall reading somewhere that squid can display a
> particular web-page for its users the first time they start
> their browser.
>
> I would like to use this feature to point all the employees
> to the corporate website/intranet as their initial (or
> idle) page.
>
> Anybody with the commands/steps on implementing this?

If you were the proxy how would you know if this is the user just opened
the browser? There is no "X-Request-Number: 1" header.

You could do certain assumptions like the start page comes up after a user
from this IP hasn't requested a URL for a certain time. But that wouldn't
be safe and would require some database hacking and a custom made
redirector.

So my general answer is: it's technically impossible or unsafe.

 Christoph

--
    |\      _,,,---,,_        Famous last words of a sysadmin:
    /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_    "We'll do the backup tomorrow."