[squid-users] Forcing cache of documents in reverse proxy

From: Alex Davies <daviesalex@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:19:02 +0000

Hi,

I am looking to setup a "backup" server in a separate DC from our main
cluster which should take the load of our site in the event of a
catastrophic failure of our active cluster.

This machine is therefore less powerful than the combined active
cluster and therefore not able to handle the full dynamic load which
is a coldfusion/php site with a MySQL backed. What I want to do is
configure squid as a reverse proxy, and *force* it to cache everything
that gets sent out. The backup machine will have 6GB RAM and 4 SCSI
drives in RAID 10 so I trust that squid can be configured to take full
advantage of this, but I just don't know how.

Mainly my question is there a way of telling squid to ignore any
cache-control headers and cache all content for 1 hour, with the most
common content cached in RAM and the rest cached on disk?

Secondly, does anyone have any configuration advice for a setup such as this?

With many thanks,

Alex Davies