[squid-users] Follow up to swap.state permissions

From: Brian Phillips <brian.phillips@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 23:38:11 -0700

Hello,

I have recently been debugging my squid through a reconfiguration.  I often
have to restart the proxy or do a force-reload (all with the scripts in
/etc/init.d).  I have noticed that too often, the permissions on
/var/spool/squid/swap.state and swap.state.clean (or whatever it’s companion
filename is…) get changed, and squid can’t reload them.  I get permission
denied.  This happens often (like, 1 in very 4 restarts).  The only solution
is to delete them and let squid remake them.

I checked the mailing lists and found this:

http://squid-cache.bestwebcover.com/mail-archive/squid-users/200409/0346.htm

I have no cronjobs that a) access these files or b) run at the EXACT moments
I am reloading/restarting the proxy.  Because of the randomness in my
“debugging” I am led to believe it’s something in the init scripts.  I
checked them and there is only one entry for /var/spool in the “start”
function of the script:

start () {
        cdr=`grepconf2 cache_dir /var/spool/$NAME`

I don’t know what this command does, maybe someone out there can tell me if
it could possibly be the culprit?

For other information, I run stock debian.  Not stable, but not bleeding
edge version either…I don’t know the names anymore :D  I was mainly
wondering out loud to the list, has any other debian users experienced
similar problems?

Brian