[squid-users] Help with a Solution

From: Scott Pinhorne <scott.pinhorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:11:32 -0000

Hello Everyone

Am new to squid so I apologise now ;-)

I am looking to create a solution that would achieve the following:

A location has an open wireless connection with DHCP. John Doe connects
to the wireless connection and attempts to browse. Using policy maps the
request is seamlessly sent to a squid proxy (this I can do).
What I would then like to be able to do is have squid decide if this is
the first time this person has connected (been to the proxy), maybe with
cookies or something? If it is the first time they should be sent to a
welcome page, if they have previously connected their page should just
be fetched and displayed.

I have written a basic PHP page that will set a cookie and then check
when they hit that page each time (this could be hosted on the proxy??)
but I am stumped when it comes to how squid knows it can go ahead and
fetch the requested URL after the check for the cookie has been?

Any help or suggestions on how to achieve this would be really
appreciated, hope this makes sense.

Many Thanks in Advance
Scott Pinhorne