Re: [squid-users] CPU saturation?

From: James Vanns <jimv@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:41:58 +0000

<snip>
> > With approximately 3000 open file descriptors (configured at compile
> > time and set at runtime with ulimit -HSn 16384) and an equivalent no. of
> > client/server TCP connections we see a constant CPU usage of ~95-100%.
> > Is this normal!? The hardware is as follows:
>
> I don't think so. Try strace and ltrace on running squid.

Yeah I have actually run squid through strace and the only alarming
thing is the huge amount of bind() calls on 0.0.0.0 and port htons (0).
And by huge amount I mean practically every lookup (I guess somehow this
is related to the internal DNS lookups). Surely you don't need to call
bind() for every query!? Or am I missing something here? Admittedly I
didn't spend much time analysing the strace output.

> > Dual Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz (Linux of course manages the CPU
> > affinity as we know squid isn't multi-threaded)
> > 6G of memory
>
> IIUC one squid will load only one CPU, how do you get "95-100%" load
> on both?

You misunderstand (I think). That percentage I gave was per CPU e.g.
95-100% usage on CPU0 not across all (0-3) processors.

Jim

--
James Vanns BSc (Hons) MCP
Canterbury Christ Church University