[squid-users] getting squid to choose between 2 proxy servers

From: Nolan Rumble <nmr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:42:31 +0200

Hi,

We have 2 proxy servers in our network. One for free-websites and one
for the non-free websites.

We have a javascript file (proxy.pac) which allows the application using
the file to decide which proxy server to connect to.

The problem is that when you want to download a file (for example using
wget) it will always be downloaded through the non-free proxy server
regardless of whether the file I'm trying to retrieve is in the list of
free websites or not.

Now what I would like to do is the following:
Setup my own proxy server so that it will distinguish between which is
free and which isn't. A file must get parsed upon reloading squid which
lists the domains which are regarded as free.

These free domains must go through proxy1 and all the non-free domains
must go through proxy2.

What configuration lines must I use to get this setup working?

Another thing is to make sure that the client's (which requests the
website) IP address gets sent to the parent squid servers as well so
that an authentication process can take place. (The parent squid
servers (proxy1, proxy2) check to see if your IP address has been
"opened up" for access (Is this where the x-forwarded-for option comes
in?))

Unfortunately I can't change anything on the parent proxy servers
(proxy1 & proxy2). I don't want to run ICP queries to the parent
servers.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks
Nolan